The Oakwood Village BIA completed a community survey in 2023. Community members shared information about themselves (demographics), and about their opinions and preferences when it comes to the Oakwood Village BIA.
Check out the survey results below or click to access the full PDF.
WHO RESPONDED TO THE SURVEY (DEMOGRAPHICS)
A majority of respondents (37.3%) fall between ages 30-39, with 20.4% falling between ages 40-49 and 14.3% between both 18-29 and 50-59. 279 respondents replied to this question.
62.1% of respondents identified as female, compared to 31.4% identifying as male. Non-binary accounted for 2.5% and 0.7% said their gender was not listed.
A large majority (66.8%) of respondents identify as white/Caucasian, while 6.8% of respondents are of black/African ancestry. 6.4% of respondents identify by a race that was not listed.
Of the responses received, 17.5% have an annual household income range of $100,001- $150,000 and 16.1% with a range of more than $200,000. 15.7% earn between $150,000 and $200,000, while 15.7% of respondents preferred not to answer. The most common response represents a higher median household income than that of Toronto, which in 2021 stood at $84,000.
In terms of household demographics:
The average size of households that responded (279 responses) was 4.
Most respondents (274) do not have a child under 16 living in their home.
A majority of respondents (72%) own their place of residence, while 27.1% are renters.
In terms of household location of survey respondents it can be said that most respondents are from communities immediately surrounding the Oakwood Village BIA. A majority of respondents are from the M6E postal code, followed by the M6C postal code.
THINK ABOUT THE TORONTO AREAS YOU VISIT TO SHOP, EAT, DRINK, AND OBTAIN SERVICES. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU WHEN DECIDING TO PICK THOSE AREAS?
Respondents were allowed to select up to 3 responses to this
▪ 59.6% identifying community spaces as an important factor,
▪ 56.4% identifying proximity to home
▪ 42.9% identifying special events
▪ Visual appeal of the area (41.1%)
▪ businesses that represent the cultural heritage of the area
(41%) rounded out the top 5 factors.
THINK ABOUT THE OAKWOOD VILLAGE BUSINESS AREA. HOW WOULD YOU RATE IT ON EACH OF THE FEATURES YOU SAID WERE IMPORTANT TO YOU?
There were 248 responses to this question.
▪ 33.7% were most satisfied with the proximity of the BIA to their home or work.
▪ Visual appeal of the area (14.9%) was the factor that had the most rating of dissatisfaction among respondents.
▪ 32.4% of respondents also felt somewhat disappointed by its visual appeal.
▪ A majority of respondents had neutral feelings towards the current features.
WHAT’S ONE THING THAT SHOULD CHANGE ABOUT THE OAKWOOD VILLAGE BUSINESS AREA?
There were 256 responses to this question. The most common
responses received are summarized below:
▪ More community-centered spaces features green areas and gathering areas/areas to hang out
▪ A better compliment of available services/retail mix
▪ More beautiful streets, incorporating art
▪ The visual appeal of the area needs to be improved, including making it cleaner
▪ Storefronts needs to be updated and vacancies filled
WHAT’S ONE THING THAT SHOULD STAY THE SAME ABOUT THE OAKWOOD VILLAGE BUSINESS AREA?
There were 245 responses to this question. The most common responses received to the question are summarized below:
▪ Retention of existing businesses (most commonly mentioned businesses were coffee shops, restaurants and retail), with an emphasis on small businesses in the area
▪ The (cultural) diversity of the area
▪ The work of the BIA (including communications, bringing the community together)
▪ The library
▪ The feeling of community
HOW DO YOU MOST OFTEN DISCOVER NEW LOCAL BUSINESSES?
Respondents were able to select up to 3 responses
to this question:
▪ 72% most often discover new local businesses by physically passing by and seeing them
▪ 43.6% discover them through social media.
▪ 53.2% hear from friends/family
Some of the least discovered ways are:
▪ billboard/poster and digital ad (both 5.7%)
▪ TV and promotional ad (both 4.6%)
▪ Printed ad (6.8%)
WHICH OF THESE OAKWOOD VILLAGE BIA INITIATIVES ARE YOU AWARE OF?
From a list including:
▪ Public art projects
▪ Honouring black history celebration and marketplace (Feb 2023)
▪ Oakwood Village magazine (summer 2022)
▪ Decorative lighting on Oakwood Avenue (fall 2022)
▪ Pumpkin giveaway (Oct 2022)
▪ Public space beautification
The initiatives that respondents were most aware of include:
▪ public art projects (24.1% aware and engaged and 43.1% aware but unengaged),
▪ the black history event (17.5% aware and engaged and 46% aware but unengaged)
▪ decorative lighting (15.6% aware and engaged and 43.5% aware but unengaged).
The initiatives that people were least aware of include:
▪ Oakwood Village magazine (55.8% not aware)
▪ pumpkin giveaway (51.3% not aware)
▪ public space beautification (44% not aware)
ANY COMMENTS ABOUT ANY OF THE PAST OAKWOOD VILLAGE BIA INITIATIVES?
123 responses were received to the question. The most common responses are summarized:
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SAY ABOUT THE OAKWOOD VILLAGE BIA?
There were 190 responses received to this question. The most common responses are summarized: